Celebrate with these surprising facts!
Facebook has now reached adult status!
The iconic social media platform was officially founded 18 years ago today, February 4, 2004, in a Harvard University dorm by friends and housemates Mark Zuckerberg, Eduardo Saverin, Andrew McCollum, Dustin Moskovitz and Chris Hughe.
Over the past two decades, Facebook’s parent company – now called Meta – has become one of the most well-known, influential and even controversial companies, while the Facebook platform now boasts billions of users.
As the most beloved on the globe and the hated social media platform celebrates its 18th birthday, here are 18 fast facts about Facebook – courtesy of Search Engine Journal – which will guarantee to make you feel very old today.
18 Facts You Probably Didn’t Know About Facebook:
- Originally, Mark Zuckerberg only made Facebook available to students at his alma mater, Harvard University. (Okay, if you watched The social networkyou probably knew him.)
- Facebook’s color scheme is blue because Zuckerberg is said to be suffering from red-green color blindness.
- Facebook engineer Andrew Bosworth said the designers pushed for a “great” button, but Zuckerberg eventually vetoed the idea in 2007 and created the “Like” button instead.
- Al Pacino was the first “face” on Facebook. The site initially displayed an image of a man’s face disguised as pixels. It later emerged that the face belonged to the famous actor.
- Facebook users spend about an hour a day on the platform. The average user spends 58 minutes of their waking day on the service daily.
- We don’t look at posts for long. We spend an average of 17 seconds on each bit of content.
- Usage on Facebook increases around 8 a.m. and 10 p.m. local time.
- Facebook has no strong political leanings among its users. According to the data35% of users say they are conservative, 34% are liberal and 29% are moderate.
- Facebook offers over 100 languages. Less than half of Facebook users use the service in English.
- You can change your language on Facebook to “Pirate”.
- The United States is not Facebook’s largest market. Over 260 million people in India use the service, while 186 million users are based in the United States
- Farmers for Facebook! About 66% of rural American adults use Facebook. This makes it more popular than YouTube (64%) and Pinterest (26%).
- Facebook hooked us: 51% of users log in more than once a day.
- We get by with a little help from our friends: 88% of users say their main reason for joining Facebook was “to stay close to family and friends.”
- Teens are abandoning Facebook. In 2015, 71% of American teenagers were on Facebook. Today, the number is down to 51%.
- Women use Facebook more than men. A Pew Research Center survey found that 75% of women use Facebook, compared to just 63% of men.
- There are, on average, 3.74 degrees of separation between one Facebook user and another. So you’re like, this close to Justin Bieber.
- You can log your time on Facebook. Click on the More menu, then go to Settings and Privacy. From there, you will find Your Time on Facebook.
Are you on Facebook? Join us on PopCrush by clicking here!